Weight-loss Counter

Monday, August 30, 2010

Tennis


I started watching tennis just about the same time I started dating Steven. His parents are tennis fanatics! I had no prior knowledge of the game and because I didn't know what the heck was going on, I really wasn't very interested. Since I spent quite a bit of time hanging out at Steven's house when we started dating in high school, and then on through college, I had no choice but to pick up a love & passion for this great sport.

Steven's parents so kindly taught me the rules of the game, history of the Grand Slams, playing surfaces, the great players of long ago, current phenomenons, schooled me on the vocabulary (game, set,match,0,15,40, duece, service, breaks, mini-break, fault, slice, drop shot, volley, ace, rally, lob, winner, errors...... *whew*), and encouraged me which players to love (Americans) and which ones to hate (Russians).

My increased love for tennis resulted a decision to take two semesters worth of tennis while in college, at Oakwood University. I got pretty good, and Steven's parents even bought me my own racket! We usually play together on vacation, we have soooo much fun! Now if only I could get Steven to play with me more often. I think I may just get a cute coach, polish my game, get some weekly eye candy and a little personal attention, oh yeah!

The US Open just started today. Venus Williams won her opening match!!!! I feel really sorry that Serena could not participate because of her hurt foot from that freak accident :( I'm rooting for Venus to go all the way, although she is experiencing knee problems, *crossing my fingers* and hoping for the best!

If you aren't a tennis fan, I encourage you to give it a chance. It's a game of tenacity, strength of will, endurance, precision, consistency, fitness, and extreme heart! The end of a tournament can only have one champion representing one country. It's an amazing experience to watch for the entire fortnight. You won't be disappointed :)

Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment