Weight-loss Counter

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Fried Potatoes & Gay Marriage


The caption: I support Waffle Fries, Free Speech, and Gay Marriage. 

Recently in the the news, the Chick-fil-A president made some disapproving comments about gay marriage. The media outlets ran with it sparking protests and kiss-ins. Many a facebook debate have ensued. I even joined in with what I considered a benign and semi-neutral FB post. NOT! Apparently I have offended people and jeopardized my educational career at my Alma matter with possible collateral damage. Geez... so much for tolerant & understanding Christians. People for the most part are not open minded and I don't have time to talk to them. So I'll do the next best thing and talk to myself on the internet until further notice.

I read this awhile ago. Read Here. This is the first time I've heard this argument from a gay black man.  Although I don't necessarily agree with his Biblical conclusion, I do think he has some valid points. The biggest one being that I do not believe you can pray to be healed from being gay, no more than you can pray to be healed from being man or woman. Second, I don't believe my personal religious beliefs should have any effect on marital rights of other people. Marriage is a civil liberty and thus should be granted to all Americans. Third, I don't think gay people are trying to equate African American civil rights movement to the homosexual civil rights movement completely, but they do share similar characteristics.  They have won the first battle, getting society to recognized them as human beings. Gays for the most part have not had to fight for this understanding. People do considered them humans, but the many times as the mentally ill, diseased riddled,  pedophilia, or contagiously vile type of human. The type of human who is required to be secretive about their sexuality in order to be treated without discrimination or general contempt by a large portion of our population. We are inflicting silent pain when we teach eternal damnation and hell fire across the board because they are sinning simply for being who they are, or by tolerating hatred and inequality because gays are choosing this path by their lifestyle,  or that gays are fundamentally different from heterosexuals and thus their civil liberties should be modified. It is very much a civil rights battle, and we as blacks should understand the plight and be more sympathetic not just sit back and nitpick why they can't claim to be borrowing from our struggle. Let the pursuit of happiness be enough.


1 comment: